Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Welcome to our Global Health Corps Fellows!








UVP is extremely excited to host our first cohort of fellows from the Global Health Corps. GHC's mission is to "to mobilize a global community of emerging leaders to build the movement for health equity". Learn more about the organization here. Our fellows this year are Julius and Orrin, who will be helping us improve our monitoring and evaluation tools.

Julius: I graduated in 2014 from Makerere University, with a degree in statistics majoring in development planning. After my internship program at Economic Policy Research Center (EPRC) - Uganda, I was retained as a research assistant for two years prior to joining GHC. During the post recruitment months by GHC I worked in Rakai for the World Bank on a research project about nutrition and health among children.

During university, I volunteered for a non profit local organization (Good Care Foundation), that seeks to unite the youth and mobilize them in changing the dimensions of a vulnerable society financially and socially into a developed and self perpetuating one. Here, I spearheaded capacity building programs in high schools, conducted seminars and conferences aimed at promoting awareness of teenage pregnancies and fighting HIV prevalence among youth.




Orrin: Hello everyone!  First off I am super excited to be part of the UVP family.  Though I only arrived 10 days ago in Iganga, I already at home with all the staff and am slowly getting familair will all the projects.

My first foray into public health was in middle school, where I entered the school science fair showing the effects of secondhand smoke on house flies.  They all died in under a minute, not surprisingly, and though I didn’t get first place my passion for public health was born.  I stayed involved in smoking cessation through high school and my undergraduate studies at the University of Montana.   After graduation I successfully applied to the Peace Corps Master’s International in Public Health at the University of Pittsburgh, where I studied Behavioral and Community Health.  

After my first year of classes I left to Riobamba, Ecuador for 27 months where I worked in with the Ministry of Health on their new campaign to decrease adolescent pregnancies.  After the end of the program I transitioned to work in a public university at their wellness department doing sexual health work. I helped the office create a baseline survey to measure their impact and ran the first cohort, ultimately sampling 5% of the student body.I returned to Pittsburgh in 2013 to finish up my degree, where I interned at Global Links helping to create an monitoring and evaluation plan for their future interventions.

I am extremely excited to work with the Uganda Village Project and hope that through our work that UVP is able to strengthen their international profile as a NGO as well as improve aspects of their current data collection.

No comments: