Saturday, September 15, 2007

Meeting with the Widows

From Matt, our new program manager/intern:
"WEDNESDAY
Spent most of the day in Kiwanyi with Margaret and Bugole with Kapere inspecting each widow's home. Kiwanyi had incomplete goat sheds and was missing some of the other sanitation requirements. One widow expressed concern that she may not have enough land to accommodate a larger future flock of goats in terms of the grass and legumes. Bugole was a bit better off. All but one goat shed was complete. Hower, Bugole did not have a single tip-tap built aside from a missing requirement here and there, which I found to be strange given that tip-taps are the easiest requirement to meet.

FRIDAY
Spent the morning moving to the goat rearing trainings, first to Kiwanyi with Margaret, Monic, and Mr. Mulia. I believe four of the six goat recipients were present at the training, however I will confirm when I get the attendance sheets on Monday. I will also forward the agenda of the trainings next week too. I gave a short speech about how they have done great, but are only lacking the simple sanitation requirements like tip-taps and plate stands and that they shouldn't let those easy requirements keep them from getting their goats when we deliver. Then I observed Monic conduct her first day of training. I didn't understand a word, but the women that were present (not all participants were widows) were very active and curious.

SATURDAY
I moved with Basil to see all of the goats we will be buying. He also took me to a man's home who has been involed with Heifer Int. since 1998. The man has educated three of his kids and one is now a police officer. I was really impressed by Basil and the operation. I also got some free goat's milk, which I later shared with Henry's family. It tastes just like cow's milk, but is supposed to have a lot more nutrition. All of the goats the Basil has identified look good as far as I can tell. He told me that standard retail price is around 350,000, but when Heifer buys, it is subsidized down to 200,000. Some goats have just conceived and one is ready to pop any day now. He told me even these goats will be kept within the budget range. Basil is giving us a great deal, I think we should be pretty grateful. He told me usually when other NGOs come to Heifer for goats, they charge between 350,000 and 500,000 depending on the goat, but he likes our widow project and has spoken to his farmers as if it's Heifer buying and they should all be kept within budget. Henry was very excited about the prospect of buying goats that have recently conceived. I think it's a great idea and will speed things along for some of the widows. I proposed giving the one that is ready to conceive soon to the neediest widow and the other pregnant goats to the other more needy widows to give them a head start."

No comments: